Carried

Carried

Tuesday, October 25, 2011

I'm a Bird, I'm a Plane, I'm a Sewer?

Hi Everyone!


Sorry I've been MIA for a little while but I've had a lot going on that I can't wait to tell you about in another post! BUT, that is not what this post is about. This is a post about my oh so hilarious adventures in sewing! I simply must tell you about my latest attempt to sew something wonderful!

It all started so harmlessly when I was babysitting my adorable 3 year old nephew Willard.

We had the BEST day ever together, making play dough from scratch.



I Think we used every Utensil in my Kitchen.


Then that sweet boy asked for a cape. A Cape?! Oh No! I don't have one of those...
Don't worry, Remember that I'm part McGeyver so I can find a "Cape". 
Up to the sewing room we go! 
I quickly find a piece of fabric and we tuck it into his shirt collar and Viola! 
A Cape for this Superhero!

                           Complete with the pirate hat and sword
he brought from home.


I show you all of this because he kept changing his mind about which fabric he wanted to be his "cape" and I had an idea! This boy needed to have a cape with a strip of Velcro for him to choose who he wanted to be. 
So, for his birthday I set out to make this cape I could see in my mind...

Now comes a Sewing Adventure fit for the exciting life of a boy and his cape!

I had some great black fabric that I made the cape out of but before I got to that I had to deal with my very first pattern...Here goes....

So I open it up there are 47 pages that I have to read and then realize after 15 minutes that I really only need one of those pages. I finally figure out that I need to cut out the corresponding letter from the flimsy piece of tissue paper. 

I managed to get it cut out using the pattern and got ready to sew. 



Cut it out and then pinned it to sew together to make a cape. 

I get it all pinned and turned down to sew and begin to finish the edges. 

(This is going pretty well...)


Yeah...Did you notice how it is not staying pinned?! 
This fabric and I were not agreeing!  I kept pinning and it kept slipping. I got it pinned so close together at one point that I ran out of pins! 

After 15 to 20 minutes of frustration I realized...


Sometimes it's all you need!


And I'm back...Refreshed and ready to tackle this mess!


I got the cape finished! And Attach a Velcro strip on the back of it for the cool fabric panels.



I got the fabric panel pinned nice and tight and ready to sew it up.


I realized that I needed to add a ribbon to cover the gather. 


Okay...Notice this picture for a moment if you will. It was the most beautiful straight line attaching a ribbon done with exceptional speed...and then I turned it over and saw this! 

Really?!!!

I sewed the fabric to the front of the decorative ribbon?! 
Again...Really?!!

(Insert picture of me rolling my eyes and the sound of the seam ripper.)

Finally get this done and put it together.
But, will it work?

I need a model...


Tigger will do!


I make another panel super quick because a boy needs choices when wearing a cape. 

Finally I can wrap this up and get it to the party just in time.
(which is in 2 hours...)


Finally, I make it to the party and he spots his gift. 
He turns to me and asks if he can open it! 
He uses manners and asks before ripping into his gift!!! 
He's so adorable!

   
I LOVE IT Aunt Jilly!! 



I asked him to turn around so I could take a picture of the back
and he literally said "CHEESE"!



"I'm a SUPER HERO!" 


He asked if he could wear it to bed! Can he be any cuter?

So that's it. My adventures in sewing continue. 
I am getting better each time I tackle a new project. 
More than anything, I love to see the smile on the face of the person that receives a gift made by hand. 
I swear, it can look terrible up close but you can't help but feel the love from a gift someone made while thinking of you. It just makes you feel loved. 

I have a big announcement to make soon...
(I'm not pregnant but I am going to tell you about a dream realized!)
Stay tuned to see the big news! Betcha can't wait...


As always, My sweet nephew's cape was made with lot's of sweat,
a couple of curse words, lot's and lot's of LOVE and my own two hands!

See ya soon! xoxo JillyG

1 comment:

  1. Love your adventures in sewing and your flexibility and especially the love used while creating this special gift! Willard is sooo cute I can hardly stand it!

    ReplyDelete